Monday, June 13, 2016

Farmer Girl Gourmet



Chocolate lovers please don't hate me.I do like my share of chocolate but I'll choose a piece of caramel over chocolate any day. A swirled dollop of caramel rested on top of creamy homemade butterscotch pudding, (butterscotch, being the "cousin" of caramel.) The thick sauce slowly cascaded with each spoonful of Farmer Girl's dessert: Butterscotch Pot de Creme. This dish was the last sweet comforting impression that I left with at the end of out farm-to-table meal.  


Ron and I visited the Farmer Girl Community Bistro located on the quaint Main Street of Lyons, Colorado. With only a 45 minute drive from our home, we found the small mountain town tucked in at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. 

The modern casual decor of hardwood floors and recycled barnwood covering the walls, composed into a warm and cozy place to share a dinner. The word, "LOCAL", is painted in a large white script on the wall to remind us what this cuisine is all about. All dishes are created from fresh seasonal fare obtained from locally sourced food businesses.  


I appreciated seeing the words, "Small Plates", on the menu. That means more food samplings without getting overstuffed. We shared the Sweet Potato Falafel plate that offered fritters, herbed yogurt, homemade pickles, hummus, and flatbread.  


The Chickpea Fritters are paired with a dipping sauce of homemade beet ketchup. I cannot resist freshly-made mozzarella. It was served alongside slices of grilled nectarines, Japanese turnips, cucumber, and a balsamic glace. I carefully assembled them neatly on the houses's crunchy crostini and popped the little tower in my mouth. Quite tasty and I didn't spill a drop. 


For a large plate entree, we shared the game hen with jalepano grits and a side of sunflower seed mole. Now, that's originality for you. Alas! The pudding arrived to crown our local agricultural cuisine. I left quite pleased with the last traces of creamy rich caramel lingering on my palette.    


No comments:

Post a Comment